Friday, July 16, 2010

Wednesday-A Day by the Sea

So we went to Aegina today for some team bonding time. Aegina is one of the Greek Islands. We took a ferry there. I love love the Sea. As we pulled up to Aegina I noticed that it seemed to look like a Nevada island (if Nevada had an island). Actually, most of Greece looks like Nevada to me. It is so hot and very dry, very much like the desert. The city part of Athens is pretty dirty. I am not a huge fan. Probably because we work in the not so nice areas, but the other day we took a hike up to Mount Muses which overlooks the city. It was absolutely breathtaking. I could see Mars Hill and the Acropolis right next to it. In Greece, they cannot build over any ruins or special places, so it was easy for me to imagine this place as it was Jesus time. In Athens, you can be walking and then "Oh hi ancient ruins." The people here walk amongst so many years of history and culture. It does not get dark til very late and the city keeps the area bright. It is not all dirty, there are areas filled with laughter and dancing. God is so good. I cannot get over all the different kinds of beauty I have been seeing. It really was awe inspiring to sit upon that Mount and look down on Mars Hill and picture Paul preaching about the God of the Isrealites. Mars Hill is right next to the Acropolis and it overlooks the entire city. What a wonderful place to tell a people about the one true living God; on a hill overlooking the beauty that God created. The land is so vast and filled with sounds of small animals and insects chirping in the trees. One could not deny there is a God from this vantage point. I cannot wait to climb Mars Hill, go to the Acropolis, and the Acropolis museum. All my studies dealing with Greek and Roman literature is coming alive here. Thank you UCSD.
Anyways, back to Aegina. I loved standing at the top of the boat, closing my eyes, and just feeling the wind. Considering its been over a hundred degrees most of the time we have been here ( all without air conditioning). The sea breeze was immensely refreshing. Once again, I was struck by the greatness of my Lord. I guess this seems to be a theme for me on this trip. I am really finding out who God is, and in turn who I am in Him. Everything I see causes me to praise Him. I am more of a reserved person, even in my expression of faith. I have never seen myself as someone who could just go out and proclaim who God was unsolicited to the world. I guess I am more relational. But there is something welling deep within me. Something that I cannot contain. There is this overwhelming joy and passion. A love that so consumes me that I cannot do anything but praise God for all that He is and all that He has done for me.
Aegina was beautiful. The little town was placed right next to port by all the boats. I loved looking at all the fishing boats and the homes that were so colorful. It was beauty that a city by the sea could only hold. My favorite building was painted bright yellow with bright blue trim. There were window boxes filled with flowers and on the exterior someone had painted flowers. Outside sat a antique table with chairs that two old ladies sat at. Mom, Kathy, Grandma, you would have loved it. This is where I fell in love with the Greek people. There were so many old men and women on this island. They sat at the cafes overlooking the sea talking and enjoying life together. I began to watch and appreciate their culture, their community. The old men would get into groups and the old women in another group. I do not know what they talked about, but the sense of community was so strong. All their old faces, wrinkled and leathery from years in the sun, hold so many stories and so much history. Greece is not just a land filled with landmarks of history, but it is a land full of people with a rich personal culture and history. What had that old man looking at the Sea in silence, with dark skin and piercing blue eyes, do for most of his life? What had he seen? Had he loved a woman deeply? What pain had he felt? What brought him joy? I try to discretely get photos of the people, but its hard. I think I am just going to start asking if I may take their picture.
We rented bikes and biked around the island. Do I even need to describe the feeling of riding a bike along the Mediternean? I looked out at the blue Sea and admired all the boats and the colors. The island got even more brown and desert-like as we left the village, but it was colored by bright flowers such as magenta bougainvilleas . We stopped at a beach cafe by the Sea. It was SOOO hot. Immediately jumped in the water and stayed there until I was pruning. We had lunch next to the Sea and relaxed by the beach then headed back to the village so we could leave. I so enjoyed my time there. It was great to bond with the team. The full time missionaries explained to us that this ministry is so emotionally draining that it is really important that they all take trips and time for themselves or they will go crazy. When you deal with so much darkness and pour so much of yourself into others, it would make sense that you would need time to care for yourself.
I am so thankful for the love of Christ. There is nothing like knowing that you are loved no matter what. I think it may be the single most important thing someone can realize in their life. You are loved. Wholly and completely just as you are. No matter what, there is one who has an unending love for you.
"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned."
Song of Solomon 8:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment