Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Problems Bella are in the Hospital

I had heard Rome was really dirty, but I was not prepared for what I saw. It looked like a third world country. The airport and train station were not nice at all. It was not that they were old.. they were just dirty and not taken care of. I had wanted to get out and explore Rome, but after traveling so much and seeing what Rome looked like from the train, I really had no desire to venture out with all my luggage by myself. So I headed straight for Florence. I arrived in Florence at 3 pm. Florence is absolutely beautiful. It is full of old churches and architecture. The whole town looks like old Italy. You do not see any new buildings anywhere. My friends were not at the train to pick me up so I waited a little and tried to find them. Finally I realized they were not coming so I got a cab and told him to take me to an internet cafe. We drove round looking for one and he was very nice ( he probably drove me around to run up the cost but he was such a nice old man and I was happy to have company) I saw the Dumo and other cathedrals. Finally we found the internet cafĂ© and I tried to reach my friends. After an Hour and a half I went on a search for where I thought their apt was. I noticed in Italy all the people are very nice. Many asked if I needed help as I dragged all my luggage across the cobblestone streets of Florence. You get to hear "Chiao Bella" about a billion times as you walk by. I sat outside of what I thought was their apt but it was not it. So I dragged all my stuff back to the internet cafe. The poor internet man. I was so tired, jetlagged, and hungry at this point, it was really hard not to cry. They told me not to worry. That “the problems were in the hospital. Look around you are in Italy, Florence, The most beautiful city. You have no problems, the problems are in the hospital.” Then they would make me repeat it to them. God is so good! Even now and for a long time I will look back on that day and remember where the problems are. I needed that reminder for life. How blessed am I? How blessed are we all? Well, it was about 3 hours til I got in touch with my friends and finally got to their apartment. There had been a miscommunication and they had thought I was arriving that night. Oh well. I got to go out to an Italian restaurant and have some pasta. Sooooo good! Maybe I will leave Italy looking like my picture from my airport fiasco haha That night the jet lag wore off and I was finally able to sleep more the two hours. I forgot how much I loved sleep. The next day we left for Cinque Terre so I will tell you more about Florence when I explore it!

No comments:

Post a Comment