Monday, July 12, 2010

Welcome to Greece

So I have finally arrived in Greece. A very large greek man has already tried to set me up with his son since being here. While we were on the plane the father got up from his seat next to me, told his son to come over, that I was from California, and to sit down. He then proceeded to come up at different times in the flight to tell his son to tell me (as if I could not hear) that they would pick me up in Athens whenever I wanted and show me Greece. The poor boy seemed embarassed, but he was very nice so it was not too awkward. Of course this story does not end here considering I am involved. As we were landing, I was telling the boy about how alot of people have thrown up next to me. Like 4 people. I would say that is a lot considering they were all do to motion sickness. Most of them being boys that had a crush on me. In Italy, I had a little boy throw up at the beginning of the bus ride next to me so it seemed I was cursed. We had laughed about this until I noticed he was sweating. Now he was a very large Greek boy so I thought this had to do with it, but no.. sure enough the poor guy started puking. I nicely gave him my bag when he needed another one. Poor guy. Moral of the story, if you get motion sickness at all, do not sit next to me.
Athens is quite a busy city full of graffitti. Like alot of the historic cities I have been in lately its interesting to see all the historical landmarks and ruins just sitting there in the middle of the city, everyone living there completely oblivious to the tremendous history and age of the places and things most of us just learn about in books. I really cannot wait to see Mars Hill, the temple of Zeus and the Acropolis.
I am staying at a missionaries house while the family is on furlough. Its so nice! The girls on our team are great, and I am so looking forward to getting to know them. My heart is full after so much great fellowship with Pastor Aidoo and his family, as well as great time spent with my amazing sorority sisters. I cannot help but sing all the time in my head the song about rejoicing. I just feel so happy :-) Below I will put the verse that has really been on my heart lately. Tomorrow we have our orientation and we will walk the brothels. So it begins.

Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment