Friday, July 16, 2010

God's Favor

Today was a long day. We got up early and headed to our bus stop. We take one bus, two metro changes, and a walk through a pretty nasty area, in order to get to our offices. Once we got there we reconvened our training. We are being taught out of a book called "The Hands that Heal". There are very few materials that train on the issue of human trafficking and sex slavery so it is a blessing to have this. After I am done with this training, I will receive a certificate stating I finished the training and I will be able to train others. I thought that was pretty exciting news.
We started off going through a biblical view of sexuality. It is so important that while in working in this industry we keep our thoughts and minds focused on God's views on sexuality. The things that are seen can so easily distort our perception of sex. We all know that the Bible sees sex within the correct context as good; as an act of bonding and committing your whole self to one person. The interesting thing that I saw while studying this issue was the perception of sex in our culture and how it really does "sell". When the emotional is taken out of sex, which is what our culture does, it is just a physical act. We are told it is going to be so satisfying, but really it just leaves us wanting. Its not that big off a deal. This is because we have taken the emotional from the physical. This probably is not news to anyone, but what really opened my eyes was how by doing this, sex really has become a commodity. It is able to sell because it never really satisfies. Sounds like the perfect product to me. Is that not the point? To always keep your customers wanting? These girls who are in bondage to their traffickers, they are the hot ticket. They are products that keep on giving. They will never go out of demand.
We went over the realities for these women. Their behavior and speech has all become sexualized. They cannot really relate to anyone outside of a sexual context. One of the quotes that was given to us was "You cannot serve as a toilet for men for long without thinking you are a toilet." This is so true. These girl's images of themselves have been forever tarnished. IF they get out of the sex industry, they are going to have a lifetime struggle with trust and self esteem. They will have difficulties having any kind of normal relationship, especially in the romantic realm. Their ability to have any connection to anyone has been severely impaired. How can they ever see sexual things as a good thing again?
We ended our session and began Greek lessons. I can now read Greek. I say this as in I can sound out the letters, but I have absolutely no idea what I am saying. I consider this an accomplishment. I do not think I will ever be prolific in this language so I am not too worried. As long as I can read street signs and be able to ask people where things are, I am good.
Our second session of training went into aftercare of the victims. We went through spiritual and practical aftercare. Ideas such as mentors and support groups. How to get them jobs. The need for deliverance in all their lives. The need for networking and the need for church support.There is a great need for counselors for these women. The turnover rate in this ministry is very high. Because of the emotional toll this area of work takes on a person, many cannot handle working with human trafficking and sex slavery, even though it is direly needed. There was a 9 country survey done in the EU in which they interviewed prostituted girls. 89% of the girls, whether they were there by "free will" or not, did not want to be apart of the sex industry anymore. They wanted out. But where are they to go? Their whole world and everything they know revolves around prostitution. In a sick way, this is where they have found family. They know how to work this world. They know how to get what they want and how to survive. They do not know how to live outside prostitution. They do not know how to do the basic things in life, such as how to grocery shop, pay bills, and budget. The real world is an unknown place for them. They can achieve status in their ring of prostitution. If they leave, they are poverty stricken, disrespected, and shamed. Do they even have a hope for a normal life? The realities of all this become overwhelming. Because of this many girls that get out of the sex industry go right back into it. It is comfortable and it is what they know. The road to recovery and healing is not easy. Sometimes it is better to just be numb.
That night was our first night doing outreach on the streets. I was a little timid because I was worried about what I might see in regards to all the sexual acts that would be happening in front of me. This was soon to be put all at ease. We arrived at the outreach center at about 11:30 pm and commenced our worship and prayer time. This time was so uplifting, and I really could feel the Lord's prescence. We spent over an hour reading the Word, singing praises, and lifting up the name of Jesus. We all felt refreshed and ready to go as soon as we were done.
As I walked down the street and arrived in the district that the Nigerian girls walked, I found myself feeling no horror. I was expecting some emotionally dramatic reaction, but for some reason I did not. Actually, I was struck by how beautiful the girls were. As I think back on this, I think in alot of ways I had dehumanized these girls. In my mind they were prostitutes and I had a dirty image of what they should be and look like. Quite the contrary. I found that these girls were my peers. They were all young, with some of the oldest being about my age. We split into groups. Some people stayed at the table with the tea and cookies, while some walked the streets to talk to the girls and invite them to the table. We all had a guy with us at all times who stood in the back watching and praying over us. I observed the girls chasing the cars down. A lot of men would drive through just to get a look or to make the girls run after their cars. It was sick that they thought that was funny as I sat there anxiously hoping none of the girls toes would get run over. As I walked down the street I would smile and say hi to the girls. They were mostly all very nice and would smile and wave at me. One girl came right up to me and gave me a hug. She was carrying a phone that played music and kept telling me "that we should dance". She seemed so joyful and full of life. It was a little shocking to me. Then I remembered that that is how they cope and the way that they get customers. Throughout the night, I would talk with girls, I would ask them if they wanted tea and see how they were doing. I would ask if they needed help in any way (such as medical, english or greek lessons, or help getting a new job). The more hardened ones did not respond as kindly as some. One girl took me aside to warn me that some men were planning on stealing Peter's (the guy watching me) necklace, and that he needed to hide it. She told me that "these are not good men." That was the understatement of the century.
The police would randomly drive through the streets and send the girls running into hiding. I was told that alot of the cops do this just cause they think it is funny. At one point towards the end of the night, some real police came and arrested some of the men in front of me. I think they did not have papers. One of the officers came over to talk to me. He was a very large man, and I could tell he was a father by his nature. He asked me what I was doing there and said it in a scolding manner. I promptly explained why I was there. He told me that "I should not be here", but seemed to soften towards me as he realized what we were there to do.
As the night came to a close, we all started to walk back to the outreach center. It was about 230 am. On the sidewalk I saw a girl sitting on a crate. Her head was down, and she did not look happy. At first I passed her, set on getting to my destination, but then I stopped and turned around. She looked so incredibly sad sitting all alone in the dark on that crate in the filth of that street. The overwhelming feeling that no girl should have to endure this scene and its indignities had been with me all night, but something about her lack of false joy struck me. I turned around and struck up a conversation with her. At first she told me that everything was "fine." It obviously was not. I told her she did not look very happy and asked if I could pray with her. She just looked up at me and said yes. I expected there to be a hardness in her, but there was none. I asked her what she would like me to pray for. She gently held out her hand to me and said "Please pray for God's favor in my life." At that moment my mind went completely blank. I just wanted to grab her and hold her and take her so very far away. God's favor? I have never been so humbled in my entire life. This poor girl, who very well could be me if i was born in a different time and situation, was asking me to ask God for favor for her. In my heart, I knew I would not ask. I would beg. Plead. I sat with her and prayed a short prayer making sure she knew how precious and loved she was. And I asked for God's favor in her life.
Please continually pray for this girl. We shall call her L. Pray for the team and pray for each one of these precious girls. I wish you could see them. It is not fair that their beauty must be betrayed on account of man's lust. Pray for freedom. Pray for deliverance. Pray for God's favor.

Psalms 119:58-60: I entreated Your favor with my whole heart; Be merciful to me according to Your word. I thought about my ways, And turned my feet to Your testimonies. I made haste, and did not delay To keep Your commandments.

4 comments:

  1. Shelbi- I am so proud of you for being there, doing what you are doing. God really used you in the life of that young girl you prayed for... And God really used her in your life. Stay strong! (Gal. 6:9)

    -John Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Kelsey's friend and I'm praying for you guys daily while you're there there. Give Kelsey an extra hug for me today. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelbi -
    My daughter is a good friend of Kelseys, and we count if a privilege to pray for Kelsy daily. We've been praying for you too, and will be praying for the young woman you shared with. We are proud of you...even though we don't know you, we sure know your God and His love!!! Thanks for being there....and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I did not even know about this comment thing until today :-) i will give Kelsey extra hugs for sure.. God keeps showing us how good He is every day amongst it all. Your prayers are so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete